Image Map

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The {Secret} Cookie Recipe

I don't know if I'd call it a secret.

I actually got the sugar cookie recipe off the back of a gift.  The gift was a copper cookie cutter and the tag had a recipe for sugar cookies.  I copied it down only because it was so simple. 

And it morphed into the only sugar cookie recipe I use.

So after a lot of people have asked me for it and I've memorized it and can recite it on command I thought I'd put it down for others to enjoy.  Especially since the Valentine's season is upon us.  I'm sure everyone wants to make sugar cookies for that holiday.

Everyone I know will just be waiting for me to make them.

Back to the recipe at hand - here it is!

Simple Sugar Cookie Recipe

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter (1 cup) - I prefer salted sweet cream butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted

Directions:
1. Cream butter in mixer, then add in sugar and mix together.
2.  Add in one egg and mix together until combined
3. Add in vanilla a mix together until combined
4. Add in sifted flour and mix until combined.  Dough should pull away from the mixer walls and form a ball.  If it doesn't add in a little more flour (2 tbsp at a time) until it's ball form.
5.  Remove from mixer and wrap in saran wrap. I find it's easier to form the dough into a log form before wrapping up.
6.  Store in refrigerator for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
7.  When ready to bake, take out of fridge, roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters.
8.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven when you see just a hint of tan on the cookie.


I promise you, it's incredibly simple.  I find that using the best vanilla really makes a difference.  Same with good butter and flour.  Good ingredients yield GREAT cookies!

Next up the frosting recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment