Image Map

Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Tale of Two Cherry Pies

My father loves cherry pie.

So much that he'll go buy a cherry pie at Village Inn or from the grocery store randomly, even if there isn't a special occasion.

He prefers it over cake.

Over pretty much any other sweets.  Except for vanilla ice cream and raisins.  Yes, he eats that.  We choose to ignore it.

So I decided that instead of attempting to make him a real cherry pie for Father's Day I'd give him the second best thing, a sugar cookie made to look like a cherry pie.


A circle cookie cutter and some sugar cookie dough makes the perfect base for a cherry pie cookie.

Using my thick frosting in a piping bag I outlined circles (rather sloppy I might add) on the cookies.  I've yet to perfect circles - mine tend to be a little jagged.  Luckily the edges of the circles will be covered up...


Then away I went with flooding the cookies.  For flood frosting I like putting it into "ketchup bottles." The frosting pours out much easier and all the tips have caps to easily store extra frosting.  Not to mention these beauties were purchased at Wally World for roughly $1.00 each...pretty reasonable when I own about 20.


Flood.  Flooding. Floody.


Filling in some of the spots - so it's all evened out. 


Magic.


I wasn't sure how I wanted to add cherries.  So as the red circles were drying I decided to use the thick red frosting and pipe on red dots a.k.a. cherries.


It ended up not being what I wanted....so I just left it knowing the rest of the details would cover it up.  Should I make them again I'd add the cherries as the last detail and do them all over.


I used a Wilton Tip #103 for the "crust."


I started with making the lattice over the top part of the "pie."


It required a lot of thinking...something I wasn't prepared to do.




I thought that most cherry pies I'd ever had also had a sugary top - with the Turbinado Sugar I had at home I quickly spread it over the top of the wet frosting. 


Now here's the messy part.  And where the title of this post comes into play.  I ran out of the light tan frosting...and also didn't have enough white extra frosting to make more.  I had to use the dark brown frosting that was on hand...and it was runny.  Enough that it looked like the pie crust was burned.


But I ended up giving him both the pretty looking cookies and the "burned "version.  They still taste the same...unlike a real burned pie.


I'd like to revisit this cookie "Cherry Pie" attempt because I'd give this a B-. 

I'm looking to get an A+.



I linked this up to:
LilaLoa

No comments:

Post a Comment