Image Map

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Neeeeeeeigh....that's a horse sound

When you turn 16 you want horse cookies right?

No?  Well for my cousin's daughter she's way more into a horse as her form of transportation than a car. However I don't think she'd turn down a car.  Just my gut feeling.

Gabby loves anything horse related.  She always has, even when she was young.  At a family dinner years ago my brother tried convincing her that he road across Oklahoma on the back of a horse named Mr. Ed.  It was the best story ever - that he continued to make up on the fly.  The rest of us had a hard time not
laughing out loud and I think Gabby wasn't entirely sure that he was making it up.  He had great answers to all of her questions.  My favorite was when she asked what he fed Mr. Ed - and Matt  replied "Cheerios" in a very matter-of-fact tone.

Even though we tried to convince her of my brother's horse past - she never wavered from her love.  Thus, horse sugar cookies to celebrate her birthday were perfect.

I started with just a few frosting colors - thankfully left over from orders earlier that week and some extra mixing to get more brown!


I was torn bewteen trying to do entire horses or just the heads.  Heads won out.  Simplicity seemed smarter.


A flooding of brown.


And a quick white strip of white flood frosting while the brown was still wet.  Then they dried for about 3 hours.


I needed the base layer to be hard enough so I could do the horsey details.  Yes, horsey.

That means eyes, a halter and hair...ummm a mane.




I also made some accompanying cookies that were to have horseshoes on them.  



The final cookies turned out pretty cool.  Consider me shocked.  I was prepared to be completely unhappy with the horses.  






Happiest Birthday Gabby - I hope turning 16 was awesome!  Mr. Ed wishes you a fantastic day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment